Tuesday 23 April 2013

Action Sports Research

Being settled on my idea of doing a downhill documentary video. I have starting looking at some video that involve extreme sports and looking at how they are filmed, edited, what song choices are used and other things. 

This first video I found on Vimeo caught my eye straight away because instead fo it being just an edit of action sports it is actually a showreel for Band-Originale, a film making company. 



I love the way that this video as been put together. You can really tell in the video that the editor(s) have really listened to the sound track used which is Cross The Fader - Jamaica, who are an electro-tinged French indie rock band, because every time there is a main action in the video it happens on the beat of the song. Also there is a part in the video where the action moves to underwater and the music changes to as if it was also being played under water which is a good effect. Some parts of the video are extremely well put together also, for example at around 2:04 there in a 180 degree pan around a super bike which looks incredible and again just after with a surfer. I would love to learn how to do this, I have some idea but I will do another blog post about it. 

Another video that I used to watch a lot is GoPro's advertisement for there new camera the Hero 3.
                                            

This video really does show of the capability in the GoPro's because it is shot 100% on the new Hero3: Black Edition. I am definitely going to be using a GoPro while filming my video because it will make the action in the video so much more intense and with the Trans-media being a point of view (POV) downhill video game and the GoPro would help me achieve these sort of angles and views. I will touch up on this in another post. The song used in this video is Daybreak - Overwrek but it is a remix of the song made specifically for this GoPro video. I think it has being remixed again so that during the video key action points happen on beats of the song.

Another video I found is this one called "Playing with Gravity" 



I like this video because it relates very much to how people have said my style of filming is. Its very in there with the action. The sound track is Le Castle Vania - Zero Machine, the music is electro dance music so again it had a good beat for the video to be edited to. I really like the angles and movements in the video from the camera operator which I may try in my own video. 

After looking at a couple of videos I have noticed that the main point to making a good action sports video is the song/sound track choice and how well you edit your footage to the song/sound track. I definitely need to look into good sound tracks and get a list together of different ideas of what sound tracks to use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment