Tuesday 23 April 2013

Cameras, Mounts and Angles


I went out with the rider for my video Ed McIntosh, who is a good friend of my brothers, on Saturday and helped him build a jump he is wanting to do in a few weeks. Unfortunately I don't think the ramp will be ready for the video to do with this project but helping him build it and stuff gave me the opportunity go get some cool GoPro shots and some scenery fill shots with the 5D Mark 3 I borrowed from University. 

Once I got home and transferred the footage onto my hard drive it got mw thinking about what angles I want to shoot while filming and mounts I'm going to need to achieve them angles. On shoot days which hopefully will be the next two Saturdays to come, I will have a Canon 5D Mark 3, three GoPro Hero 3: Black Editions and my own Sony HandyCam with me. This gives me 5 different options for angles at one time. I will be operating the 5D on shoot day, I will ask my brother to operate my HandyCam and I will have the GoPro's attached to Ed and his bike in different places. 

Talking about having the GoPro's attached to Ed, I best mention what mounts I have and what mounts I would like to use. The Mounts I have are the following: 

  • Handle Bar Mount
  • Tripod Mount
  • GoPole Grip
  • Chest Mount
  • Helmet Mount(s)
  • Roll Bar Mount
I will probably end up using all of these mounts during the shoot days, I actually don't have the roll bar mount yet but I have ordered it today as I know I will use it to get a GoPro attached to Ed's bike frame or forks. The other places I would mount the GoPro's would maybe/probably be, around his chest because with the Trans-Media being a POV downhill game, the chest mount will give a good POV view with his arms and handle bars being in view. I would really like to use the head mount or attach an adhesive mount to Ed's helmet so I can get a head POV shot but i'm not sure where about to place one yet and if I let him just round down a hill without a helmet on and just the head mount, that overly unsafe! Other places I will mount GoPro's will be on his handle bars and with the handle bar mount im also going to construct a long pole so I can get in the air shots while ed goes past if they are need or if he goes high enough to get them. I will probably use an old washing line pole for this so its extendable. 

I will probably have my brother getting wide/long shots with my HandyCam or maybe up close shots with my FishEye attached to my camera but I am not 100% sure about the FishEye yet. Then with the 5D I will be attempting to get some arty, smoot looking shots while Ed is riding past. To help me achieve these shots I will use my cheap glide cam I have. Im not sure how well it will work as the weight of the 5D may be too much for it but I will test this before shoot day. 

Other than what I have spoke about I cant think of any other angles or mounts I can use, I am sure I will think of some more during the day of the shoot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment